Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Product Review: Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix

Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix is really pretty good!
I first picked this up because it was on clearance at the local Target store.
They had just put in a new grocery section and stocked it to the brim.  And it was SOOOO nice of them to have gluten free items!  I really can't express my gratitude enough when a store does this, but unfortunately, I'm not a big spender when it comes to processed gluten free products.  Apparently the other local Celiac/gluten intolerant/gluten sensitive folks aren't either, because Target ended up with a mega surplus of these types of goods.  So, hence, the clearance sale.  It was an awesome moment for me.  I bought two of these, plus three GF chocolate cake mixes and  a GF corn muffin mix.  I don't know why you would be interested in all of this, but maybe you are.  Maybe everyone secretly wonders what other people buy at the grocery store...  (I also bought paper towels and toilet paper, in case you're dying to know).
On, with the product review:  I didn't have a lot of faith that this would turn out to be amazing.   The mix really didn't smell very good, I have to admit.  I half wondered if it had expired, but the expiration date said 2012... 
It was easy to mix up, requiring only a cup and a half of water and 2 eggs.  Very nice.  I really didn't have much time, so I skipped the rising process and smooshed it (yes, smooshed it--note the odd split edges?) onto my pizza stone. 
I added a very thin layer of pizza sauce, so my picky eaters wouldn't have 'too much sauce' to fuss about then sprinkled it with mozzarella and pepperonies. 

One bag makes 2 nicely sized pizzas!  So, my family devoured the first one and LOVED IT.  My children give it rave reviews. 
The second one, I definately over cooked and it's all that was left by the time I remembered to photograph the poor, burned and clearly, cold pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments