Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan--Super Simple and Quick

These are some of my baby eggplants. I couldn't wait to pick them. I love eggplants and mine are taking too long to grow.  Since I don't have time to wait around for them (I'm moving in a few weeks) I decided to pluck off several and make the quickest-ever version of eggplant parmesan.  I have a much longer recipe, with many ingredients and lots of labor intensive stuff...
But this recipe is fast and easy.  It's from Clara's Great Depression Cooking.  I love Clara (I know, it sounds like I'm in a lovey mood).   I've adopted her simpler recipe in times when I just really needed to get some eggplant into my system quick--because I have odd cravings for eggplants.
Clara is 92--maybe 93 now--and she is so sweet and wise.  She has a great blog and lots of cooking shows at YouTube.   Even my children enjoy watching them with me.

Here is Clara to demonstrate her budget savy method of preparing this dish:





The basic idea is to slice your eggplants.  Heat a half inch of olive oil in a hot skillet.  Layer the eggplant slices into the pan and cook on each side, until they're 'rosey red'.  Then remove to a plate and cover with a bit of your favorite pasta sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  I also add mozzarella to mine.



A quick and easy pasta sauce recipe:
1 can of tomato paste
2 cups of water
1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp. oregano

Puree in a blender, pour into a microwavable dish and heat for five minutes (covered!  Or you'll have a lovely mess).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments