Monday, March 3, 2014

Michele's Home-made LOW CARB Gluten Free Pizza Crust

WARNING: This recipe is a product of last minute desperation crying out for pizza.  It is not intended for the OCD gourmet chef who needs everything to be exact and precise.  Merely think of this as a guide for the creative chef who loves adventure...  This comes out to 7 Net Carbs and 100 calories 6g of protein per 2 slices--crust alone!

I wanted pizza.  I grabbed a jar of amaranth seeds, poured 1/4 c. of them into my (clean) coffee grinder and whirred them around with some chia seeds.  Then I added a tablespoon of flax seed mill and 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.  I sprinkled in a pinch of garlic powder and added water until it became a stiff dough.  I coated my pizza stone with olive oil and spread, patted and mashed the 'dough' out into a very very thin 9"-10" circle on the stone.

After that, I baked it for a few minutes at 400F degrees until it began to sizzle. It seemed to look lightly cooked and so I pulled it out and added my toppings.  My choices were sauce, 6 cheese Italian blend, broccoli and mushrooms.  I baked until toppings were hot and melted and the crust was very crisp.

I removed it to a baking rack as carefully as I could by slicing it into pieces first.  This was a great quick, low carb pizza!  It turned out to be everything I could have wanted.

So, to recap:

1/4 c. of amaranth seeds ground finely into flour
 (or probably any kind of flour--maybe a pinch more because it fluffs up as it grinds)
1 tsp. of chia seeds grinded (this adds proteins, healthy fats and fiber)
1 tbsp. of flax meal  (I grind my own and keep it in the freezer)
1/2 c. shredded blend of cheese (I used a Mexican blend because it's what I had)
Garlic Powder (optional)
a bit of water to form dough--maybe an 1/8 - 1/4 cup?  Sorry, not sure.

Bake for 8-10 minutes at 400F

Remove.  Top with toppings, turn heat down to 350F and bake till desired 'doneness'.
4 servings.




I topped mine with broccoli and mushrooms.  This photo was taken the next day, cold.  Sorry...
This is the carb and calorie breakdown without toppings.  7 net carbs.  100ish calories, according to MyFitnessPal.com

1 comment:

  1. This is the BEST low carb pizza ever! Thank you. I am so glad I came upon your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your comments